North Central Railway
No.PR/NCR/06/2018 Press Release Date:13.06.2018
GM/NCR HOLDS MEETING WITH NORTH CENTRAL RAILWAY PROJECT UNIT (NCRPU): REVIEWS THE PROGRESS OF A NUMBER OF CUTTING-EDGE PROJECTS: CENTRALIZED TRAFFIC CONTROL IN TUNDLA TO BE OPERATIONAL BY END OF JUNE-A FIRST OF ITS TYPE IN INDIAN RAILWAYS
General Manager of North Central Railway, Shri M.C Chauhan held a meeting with the officials of the North Central Railway Project Unit (NCRPU) in Delhi to review the progress of the important capacity augmentation and mobility enhancement works being executed by the NCRPU in the territory of NCR.One of the most important subjects discussed in the meeting was the operationalization of the Centralized Traffic Control (CTC) at Tundla, which has been under construction for some time now. GM/NCR advised that out of 44 stations covered by the CTC, 29 stations covering the existing control boards 1&2 have to be made operational by June, 2018.Installation of the CTC is a sterling achievement for the NCR as it is the first time in Indian Railways that such a system is being installed. The CTC is being installed in Kanpur-Ghaziabad section of the NCR, which is one of the most important and oversaturated sections of IR.What makes the CTC unique is that in CTC, the signalling functions are operated from a centralized location instead of distributed operation from individual stations.The project, being executed at a cost of Rs: 40 crore has several important advantages that are as follows:
· Automatic Train Charting and storage and generation of graphs
· Enhancement of throughput and line capacity
· More efficient Time Table Management
· Direct and efficient control of train movements by controller, avoiding delay in communication of instructions
· Advance route setting for different movements of following trains (up to 6 trains at a time) at a station, hence no individual route setting for every train resulting in much saving of time and effort and generating greater efficiency.
· Easy planning of traffic blocks
· Online logging of events with real time messages for unusual incidents.
· Facility for real time detection and online rectification of mistakes if any are committed by controller.
“The CTC will be a game changer for train operations in Allahabad Division of the North Central Railway as it will allow the planning and operation of trains to be done from a centralized location” said GM/NCR. “The benefits of CTC will be reflected both in the form of enhanced punctuality and safety of trains besides an increase in throughput of goods trains” he added.GM/NCR also advised that the work of installation of Bidirectional Automatic Signalling on the existing ‘UP’ line as well as the work of installation of Automatic Signalling on the 3rdline between Aligarh and Ghaziabad should be expedited with a target to complete this very important capacity augmentation/mobility enhancement work by March 2020.The meeting marked a watershed of sortsas the issues discussed and decisions taken in the meeting will help expedite some of the most important capacity augmentation and mobility enhancement works in progress on the system of NCR-the benefit of which will accrue directly to the customers of Indian Railways in terms of enhanced safety and punctuality; which are the two most important thrust areas of Indian Railways-a fact which has recently been reiterated by Hon’ble Minister of Railways himself.