North Central Railway
No. PR/NCR/09/2018Press ReleaseDate:24.09.2018
NCR COMPLETES ‘NON-INTERLOCK’ OF PANKI STATION & YARD-REMODELLING IN RECORD TIME OF FOUR HOURS: REPLACES OLD MECHANICAL SIGNALING GEARS WITH STATE-OF-THE-ART ELECTRONIC INTERLOCKING WHICH WILL IMPROVE BOTH PUNCTUALITY AND SAFETY IN TRAIN OPERATIONS
The North Central Railway has achieved an important milestone in the field of enhancement of both the mobility of trains as well as safety in train operations on its densely saturated system. Yesterday, on the 23rd of September, 2018; the work of ‘Electronic Interlocking’ of Panki Station of Allahabad Division of NCR along with ‘Yard Remodelling’ was successfully completed and commissioned in a traffic block of only 4 hours.
The Electronic Interlocking (EI) at Pankiwith 297 routeswas commissioned on 23.09.2018 at 14.40 hrs replacing old aged mechanical interlockingthrough 4 big cabins (levers-East - 86, West Yd-24,West-80 & West outer-35) with lever frames and SM slide control for 36 slides, continuing since 1935.After the commissioning of the EI, operations will be controlled through Visual Display Unit/Liquid Crystal Panel. This change will substantially enhance safety and ease operations on Panki (station and yard) which is situated at trunk route and handling 07 sidings, goods sheds & ballast depo.
The scale of the work done in only 4 hours can be gauged by the fact that Panki EI involved 39 ‘Main’, 47 ‘Shunt’, 10 ‘Calling on’, and 23 ‘RoutingSignals’. It also involved 68 points (new points inserted 23, points removed 16 including one diamond slip) and124 ‘DC track circuits’ with 297 routes.
Operationally, Panki EI has facilitated extension of PF 1,3&4 at Kanpur Central Station and connectivity of 3rd line between Panki and Bhaupur alongwith passenger fitnessand yard remodelling with increase in Clear Standing Room (CSR) oflines number 1,2&4 at the station. Further, the commissioning of EI at Panki will have the following benefits:
1. The conversion of existing shunting neck into longer loop at Panki will facilitate faster reception of trains and thus would save detention of trains which were hitherto detained on account of slots.
2. Simultaneous movements in ‘UP’ direction will now be achieved via Main line and 3rd line and thusgreatly improving the mobility of trains.
3. Centralized movement shall ensure safety and mobility of trains and shall save 3 to 4 minutes in each train thereby having a huge time saving, seeing the density of traffic on the route.
4. The shunting movements will now be clearly visible to Station Master which will help in faster and safer shunting movements, thereby having a positive impact on both punctuality and safety.
5. Dismantling of 05 cabins will save around 30 staff.
6. Platform No.2 & 3 have been converted into full length Platforms.
7. Several redundant cross overs in main line have been removed resulting in increase of speed of trains in main line, once again a very important input for improving punctuality of trains.
8. ‘Calling on’ signals have been provided which will further reduce detention to trains.
Speaking on the achievement, GM/NCR Shri Rajiv Chaudhry said that the work of commissioning of Electronic Interlocking and yard remodelling at Panki will have a long lasting and positive impact on train operations and attendant passenger comfort in NCR, and will also substantially enhance safety. “The completion of Non-Interlock work of this magnitude, involving both the ‘UP’ and ‘Down’ main lines, in a short span of 4 hours was made possible by the efficient planning and flawless execution by the officers and staff of NCR who undertook this work. They deserve to be congratulated for that and we have already sanctioned an award for them.” He added.